Also see publications by Brad Cox
Objective-C is a C-based objec-oriented programming language modeled after Smallttalk. For further details on the language, see Object-oriented Programming, An Evolutionary Approach> Second Edition 1986, by Brad Cox and Andrew Novabilsky; published by Addison Wesley Publishing Company. Or see the Objective C Mailing List.
- Planning the Software Industrial Revolution
- IEEE Magazine Special Issue on Software Engineering, republished with permission shortly thereafter in Byte Magazine under the intentionally controversial title, There is a Silver Bullet. Also see No Silver Bullet by Dr. Fred Brooks.Building Blocks of Silver by Tom Ochs contrasts the two viewpoints in Byte magazine.
- Postion Paper
- for the Ecoop'91 Workshop On Exception Handling And Oopls on using Action Expressions to ad Exception handling to C-based languages. This article shows why I started work on Action Expressions, Exception Handling, and Light-weight Multitasking to Objective-C in the first place; namely to provide a means for supporting a higher-level class of object than Objective-C supports directly.
- The original article from which both of the above originated. Describes a multitasking/exception handling library I developed as a Stepstone product library but never released as a product.
- TaskMaster: Card-level Objects and User-Programmable System
- An early article on a lightweight multitasking and exception handling library for Objective-C and their role in building user-programmable systems.
- NeXT Acquires Objective-C
- Objective-C Influence on Java
- 94 Testing Object-oriented Components; A Human-centric Approach;
- 93 Market Processes as a New Foundation for Software Engineering.
- 92 What if there is a Silver Bullet and the competition gets it first? Guest Editorial; Journal of Object-oriented Programming; June 92.
- 92 Superdistribution and Electronic Objects; Dr. Dobbs' Journal; October 92.
- 92 A Revolutionary Approach; Invited Column; Journal of Object-oriented Programming.
- 91 Object-oriented Programming; An Evolutionary Approach; Addison Wesley; 86; 2nd edition (with Andrew Novabilski) 91.
- 90 Planning the Software Industrial Revolution; Invited article for the Software Technologies of the 90's special issue of IEEE Software magazine; November 90,
- 90 There is a Silver Bullet; Byte magazine, October 90.
- 88 Specifying and Testing Object-oriented Software Components; bimonthly column; Journal of Object-oriented Programming.
- 88 Producer; Smalltalk to Objective-C Translator; OOPSLA `88 proceedings (with Kurt Schmucker)
- 86 Object-oriented Programming; An Evolutionary Approach; Addison-Wesley Publishing Company.
- ~86 Objects, Icons, and Software ICs; Byte magazine (with Bill Hunt)
- ~86 Object-oriented Programming; What is It? Why is it important?; Computer World magazine.
- ~85 Software-ICs; Byte magazine (with Lamar Ledbetter)
- ~82 Message/Object Programming; An Evolutionary Change in Programming Technology; IEEE Software magazine.
- ~83 OOPC; Object-oriented Pre-Compiler; SIGPLAN Notices
- 1970 Simulation of Neural Nets Decus Proceedings; Spring 1970; Papers and Presentations of the Digital Equipment Computer Users' Society